Chinese medicine came from herbs compare to western medicine are made from drugs. Therefore, herbal soup has existed for many centuries and still practical in this modern Chinese society.
I personally love drinking herbal soups, but not every herbal soup is drinkable. Some is for everyone, some for just women or men, and also take note in certain illness or health condition; it is not advisable to take herbal soups.
Best Chinese Herbal Soups that you can cook at home
Now, I would like to share this “Six flavors herbal soups” recipe with you:
Six flavours herbal recipe:
Ingredients (4 persons):
1 pack Six flavors herbs
500g lean pork ribs
Dashes of salt to taste
1. Boil a pot of water. While bringing the water to boil, unpack the herbs into a bowl and soak with water to clean it. Discard the water after cleaning. Also, clean the pork ribs with water.
2. Once the water is boiling, you may now add in the pork ribs together with the clean herbs.
3. Cover and simmer the soup for 1.5 hours. Skim out the foam on top of the soup to make the soup looks clearer.
4. After simmer another 30 minutes, add in dashes of salt to taste.
5. The herbal soup is done.
ABC soup is one of the popular Chinese soups that are widely drunk by Chinese as this is very easily made. If you are looking for something simple and nice, you can try this out. I personally love it.
1 carrot (cut into cubes)
2 potatoes (cut into cubes)
1 tomato (sliced into 6 pieces)
100g lean meat (seasoned with soy sauce, corn flour and pepper powder)
1 red onion (cut into cubes)
10 black peppers (smashed them)
1 scallion (finely chopped)
1. Heat up a bowl of water; add in carrot, potato, onion and black pepper. Then, simmer for 25 minutes.
2. Next, mix in lean meat and tomato to boil.
3. Simmer for 30 minutes. Garnish with fried onion and scallion.
4. Serve hot with steam rice.
Lotus Root Soup With Pork Ribs
In many Chinese restaurants, lotus root soup is commonly found. It helps to bring coolness to the one who drank the soup; therefore it is very suitable for people who feel hot. Of course, it tastes great and easily made as not much hassle; no oil is needed and healthy. You can just drink the soup itself without eating with steamed rice.
The soup is refreshing. The pork ribs, red dates and lotus root can be eaten. Some people used to dip the pork ribs in the soy sauce to taste better before consuming it. But, usually I just don’t take the pork ribs that cooked in the soup as I feel the essence of the pork is all absorbed in the soup. Therefore, the soup is like the essence of everything. Oh gosh, I’m going to have it right away.
200g lean pork ribs (cut the pork into short lengths)
100g lotus root (peel of the skin and cut into slices)
10g red beans (soak in water)
10 dried red dates (soak in warm water for 5 minutes)
3 cups water
Salt to taste
1. Boil a pot of water.
2. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to low heat and add in the pork ribs into the boiling water.
3. Add in the lotus root into the soup.
4. Simmer the pot for 1.5 hour or until it is well cooked. To identify whether it is well cooked; you can use a fork to poke on the lotus root to make sure it is softened and eatable.
5. Skim out the foam floating on top of the soup from time to time (make sure you have a clear lotus root soup).
6. Add in the red beans and red dates.
7. Simmer for another 1 hour.
8. Then only add in the salt for tasting. The amount of salt is depends on individual’s desired.
1. To make a clear soup, make a quick wash on the pieces of pork/chicken with 1 or 2 scoops of hot water. Discard the water from the pork. Now, the pork is ready for soup making.
2. Always skim out the foam floating on top of the soup from time to time.
3. To quicken the softening of the lotus root, you may use pressure cooker to make this dish rather than just a normal pot.
Sweet Corn Soup
I’m sharing this simple yet tasty sweet corn soup recipe here. If you are looking for one, try this out! This one I added dried scallop into the soup to make the soup even sweeter. Yahoo! Can’t wait to drink it now right after I finish writing. Yum yum!
200g pork ribs
1 carrot (chopped into pieces)
1 sweet corn (chopped into 2 inch length)
4 dried scallops
Salt to taste
1. Clean the pork ribs with hot water and throw away the water.
2. Boil a pot of water.
3. Once the water is boiling, add in the cleaned pork ribs for 10 minutes.
4. Then add in sweet corn, carrots and dried scallops.
5. Simmer for 1.5 hours until the carrot and sweet corn are soft.
6. Add in salt to taste.