Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Often we have a notion that certain things are meant to be eaten in their traditional ways only. We do not feel keen enough to experiment with them but then, curiosity doesn’t always kill the cat!! Gulab Jamuns have always been a great sweet dish of India, popular throughout the length and breadth of the country. But have you ever wondered how it would feel to make curry or sabzi with this item?
Even I had no idea about this until I came across a Rajasthani friend who taught me this super dish. Thanks to her, I am today sharing with you one of the most delicious recipes of Rajasthan. Be a part of this journey and try it at least once to bring a delightful touch of Rajasthan to your dining table. The rich and delicious taste of the recipe will leave you asking for more!! I know most of us want a tasty recipe that’s easy to make.
To lessen your hassles, I have used a pack of readymade Gulab Jamun mix to make the Gulab Jamuns. That will save your time and yet offer you the satisfaction of a great dish made by you completely.Ingredients
- For the preparation of Gulab Jamun mix (one packet of 100 grams).
- Potato – 1 medium size.
- Paneer – 50 gram.
- Corn flour – 2 tbsp.
- Milk – 60 ml.
- Salt – ½ tsp.
- Ghee – For deep frying.
- For the preparation of gravy.
- Onion – 3 medium size.
- Tomatoes – 2 medium size.
- Curd – ½ cup, fresh.
- Ginger paste – ½ tsp.
- Garlic paste – ½ tsp.
- Cashew nuts – 15 pieces.
- Green Chilies – 2 nos.
- Cinnamon – 1 inch piece.
- Cardamom – 4 nos.
- Nutmeg – ½ tsp crushed (optional).
- Red Chilly powder – ½ tsp.
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp.
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp.
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
- Milk – 2 cups.
- Milk powder – 2 tbsp.
- Sugar – 1 tspSalt to taste.
- Ghee – 5 tbsp.
Instructions to cook gulab jamun ki sabji
- For making Gulab Jamuns.
- Boil the potato and mash it nicely.
- Mash the paneer.
- In a large bowl take the Gulab Jamun mix powder and add the mashed potato, paneer, salt, corn flour and milk. Knead the ingredients into soft dough.
- The texture will be soft and smooth to touch.
- Smear your palms with a little bit of ghee or oil and taking small amount of the dough, prepare small balls from it.
- Take care that the dough does not form cracks while being rolled.
- You should be able to make around 16 to 18 small balls from the given proportion.
- Lightly coat the balls with a little bit of corn flour.Heat ghee in a kadhai or wok and deep fry the Gulab Jamuns on low to medium flame till they are a rich golden brown color.
- Remove from the ghee and keep aside.For making gravy.
- Take the cashew nuts and put them in a blender to get a fine dry powdered form.
- Take a little milk and mix with this powder to form a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Take the onions. Cut 2 onions into fine slices. Make them as thin as possible. Chop the 3rd onion.
- Take the tomatoes and chop them.
- Now take the tomatoes and the chopped onion and green chillies and blend them into a fine paste and keep aside.
- Roast the cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg on a dry wok or tawa on medium heat for about 6 minutes.
- Dry grind this mixture and keep aside. (Freshly roasted and grounded spices add to the flavor of a dish immensely).
- Take the cumin powder, coriander powder, red-chili powder and turmeric powder and make a paste by adding a little water.
- We will call it the masala paste here.
- Heat ghee in the kadhai and add the mixture of the freshly roasted spices. Let the mixture sputter for about 5 seconds and then add the sliced onions.
- Fry the onions till they become transparent.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato and onion paste and on a medium flame fry the mixture for another 5 minutes.
- Add the masala paste and continue frying till the mixture leaves the sides of the vessel.
- At this moment add the cashew nut paste and fry for about 2 minutes more.
- Take the curd and add one tablespoon to the mixture.
- Stir well and blend it into the mixture totally before adding the next spoonful.
- Keep on doing this till the whole curd is absorbed nicely into the mixture.
- Now add the salt and sugar to the mixture and fry for another minute on low flame.
- Heat the milk in a separate container and add the milk powder to the milk.
- You just need to make the milk warm, no need to boil it.
- Add the warm milk to the mixture and simmer on low flame for about 10 minutes.
- The gravy will begin to become thick in consistency soon enough.
- Add the Gulab Jamuns to the gravy in a careful manner and turn off the heat.Serve immediately with roti or paratha.
- For making the gravy you can use butter instead of ghee.
- The onion and garlic paste can be avoided by those who do not prefer to use them.
- Instead of using warm milk you can use warm water to form the gravy if you want it to be a bit less heavy.
- You can prepare the Gulab Jamuns in the morning and make the gravy later in the day. •But always add the Gulab Jamuns to the mixture before serving the dish and always serve hot.