Recipe type: Vegetarian
This recipe requires French Beans and Potatoes. Generally, few people are fond of French Beans. It is a simple recipe that does not call for much time. This is a dry vegetable recipe that does not use water or other liquids. This recipe can also be made with Capsicum instead of French Beans. The rest of the ingredients remain the same.
Ingredients required for punjabi aloo beans recipe
- French Beans – 250 gms
- Potatoes – 3 or 4
- Turmeric/Haldi Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Amchur/Dry Mango Powder Powder – 1 tsp or according to taste
- Oil/Ghee – 1 or 2 tbsp
- Salt – As per taste
Instructions to prepare
- Start by cleaning and cutting the french beans and potatoes. In a thick bottomed kadai or pan add the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the potatoes and saute these for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the beans now and saute both the veggies 8-10 minutes on a low flame.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt except garam masala powder and amchur powder.
- After 8-10 minutes the veggies will get cooked. Now add the amchur powder and garam masala powder. Stir.
- Serve the aloo beans with rotis and curd. This can also be served as a side veggie dish.
This recipe is a dry recipe and the beans and potatoes are cooked on a low flame without adding water or any liquids. As a result the potatoes and beans both attain a crispy texture and taste. The slow cooking does take time but worth it. The proportion of the spice powders can always be altered to suit one’s taste. Use a thick bottomed pan or a kadai to make this recipe, so that the veggies do not stick to the pan. Non stick pans also work for this recipe.